A curated list of awesome open source technology for agriculture, farming, and gardening.
Agriculture is the science and art of cultivating plants and livestock for food and materials.
- Climate, Environment and Weather
- Crop Modeling, Phenotyping, and Pathology
- Datasets, Machine Learning and AI
- Data Standardization, Interoperability and APIs
- Farm Management Systems and Record Keeping
- Geospatial and GIS
- IoT, Hardware, Automation and Robotics
- Knowledgebases and Learning Resources
- Remote Sensing and Imagery
- farm-calculators – WordPress plugin for calculating various farming and crop related information.
Climate, Environment and Weather
- agroclimatology – Ruby client for interacting with the NASA (POWER) Agroclimatology Web Resource.
- bomrang – Australian Government Bureau of Meteorology Data from R.
- evapotranspiration – Ruby library for calculating reference crop evapotranspiration (ETo).
- frostline – A dataset, API, and python parser for USDA plant hardiness zones.
- GSODR – Global summary daily weather data in R.
- iem – Code that makes the Iowa Environmental Mesonet run.
- PyETo – Python package for calculating reference/potential evapotranspiration (ETo).
- pyTSEB – A python two source energy balance model for estimation of evapotranspiration with remote sensing data.
- soilDB – R library for simplified access to NCSS soil databases.
Crop Modeling, Phenotyping, and Pathology
- Open Plant Pathology – A community that values open data and computational tools for advancing epidemiology and pathogen population biology and ecology.
Datasets, Machine Learning and AI
- agridat – R package providing an extensive collection of datasets from agricultural experiments.
- Crop Yield Prediction – Deep gaussian process for crop yield prediction based on remote sensing data.
- CWFID – Dataset comprising field images, vegetation segmentation masks and crop/weed plant type annotations.
- Deep Learning for Biologists with Keras – Tutorials for deep learning based analysis (mainly) on biological relavent themes.
- PlantCV – Plant phenotyping software using computer vision.
- TERRA REF -> 1PB public domain high resolution sensor data from sorghum breeding trials (data publication with large files available on globus.org at ncsa#terra-public)
Data Standardization, Interoperability and APIs
- AgGateway’s ADAPT Toolkit – Open Source project providing tools to simplify communication between growers, their machines, and their partners.
- agworld_api_client – Example Agworld API Ruby client library that is compliant with specification defined by jsonapi.org.
- agx-ruby – Ruby client for Proagrica’s agX platform APIs.
- API-Code-Samples – Contains aWhere’s API platform code samples.
- ClearAg-API-Examples – A collection of code examples using the ClearAg APIs.
- Open Ag Data Alliance – OADA is an open project designed to bring interoperability, security, and privacy to agricultural data.
- MyJohnDeereAPI-OAuth-CS-Client – C Sharp MyJohnDeere API client implementation.
- MyJohnDeereAPI-OAuth-Java-Client – Java MyJohnDeere API client implementation.
- MyJohnDeereAPI-OAuth-NodeJS-Client – Node.js MyJohnDeere API client implementation.
- MyJohnDeereAPI-OAuth-PHP-Client – PHP MyJohnDeere API client implementation.
- MyJohnDeereAPI-OAuth-Python-Client – Python MyJohnDeere API client implementation.
- MyJohnDeereAPI-OAuth-Python3-Client – Python3 MyJohnDeere API client implementation.
- MyJohnDeereAPI-OAuth-Ruby-Client – Ruby MyJohnDeere API client implementation.
- SampleData – Sample datacards, shapefiles, and other files you can use for testing.
Farm Management Systems and Record Keeping
- AgroSense – Free and open source farm management suite built with Java.
- farmOS – Web-based farm record keeping application built with Drupal and PHP.
- Ekylibre – Farm management information system for farmers and small enterprises built with Ruby on Rails and PostgreSQL/PostGIS.
- Soil Mate – Helper app designed to assist the collection of soil data.
- Tania – Free and open source farming management system for everyone built with Go and Vue.js.
Geospatial and GIS
- Awesome GIS – Awesome GIS is a list collecting abundant GIS related sources.
- QGIS – QGIS is a free, open source, cross platform (lin/win/mac) geographical information system.
- pyshp – Reads and writes ESRI Shapefiles in pure Python.
- rgeo-shapefile – RGeo Shapefile is an optional module for RGeo for reading geospatial data from ESRI shapefiles in Ruby.
IoT, Hardware, Automation and Robotics
- AgOpenGPS – Ag precision mapping and section control software.
- DRO-Matic – Fully Automated Hydroponic OS for DIY DRO-Matic cabinets – Nutrient dosing, irrigation, topoffs, timers, EC & pH drift fixing.
- FarmBot – Open source precision agriculture CNC farming project.
- Farm Hack – Worldwide community of farmers that build and modify our own tools.
- Open Agriculture Foundation – Open Source ecosystem of technologies that enable and promote transparency, networked experimentation, education, and hyper-local production.
- OpenMinder – Open Source Rootzone Monitoring, API and open source hat for the RaspberryPi.
- ROS Agriculture – Open Source community focusing on using Robot Operating System to empower farmers with robotics tools.
Knowledgebases and Learning Resources
- Harvest Helper – Provides growing, harvesting and recipe information for the 45 plants in the database as well as a JSON API.
- OpenFarm – A free and open database for farming and gardening knowledge built with Ruby on Rails.
Remote Sensing and Imagery
- Awesome Sentinel – A curated list of awesome tools, tutorials and APIs related to data from the Copernicus Sentinel Satellites.
- Raster Vision – Deep learning for aerial/satellite imagery.
- Sen2Agri – Software system processing high resolution satellite images for agricultural purposes.
- Awesome Vegetation Index – List of reference, applications of common Vegetation Indices for Multi-spectral, hyper-spectral and UAV images.