Courses & Tutorials
Awesome Gideros Mobile – Massive Collection of Resources
- Getting Started
- Useful Lua-Libraries
- Download Gideros – Get Gideros here (it is free but donations are welcome!).
- Getting Started Manual – Check here first to get an overview of the framework.
- API Reference – Whenever you need to figure something out- this is the first place to go.
- Forum – Join the very helpful community.
- Online Editor – Try Gideros in your browser without installing anything.
- Online Examples – See some of the capabilites of Gideros in your browser.
- Developer Guide – Official list of guides and tutorials.
A collection of resources (blog and forum entries, websites, packages etc) for Gideros
Tutorials and Tips
- Introductory Video Tutorial – By one of the maintainers of Gideros.
- Publishing to Android – Getting started with publishing to Android.
- Improving performance – Forum thread with hints about improving the performance of Gideros apps.
- Desktop API – Overview of the Desktop API to manipulate mouse cursor and window decorations.
Full game examples
- Simple square-dodge game – Introductory tutorial about creating a simple square-dodge game.
- Top-down roguelike Tutorial – Extensive tutorial series about making a turn-based roguelike in Gideros.
- Breakout Clone – Tutorial about creating a Breakout-like game using Gideros and Box2D.
- “Grab the treasure” course – Comprehensive getting-started guide to Gideros by developing a small game.
Books about Gideros
- Gideros Mobile Game Development – Comprehensive book about developing a game for mobile with Gideros.
- Learn Lua for iOS Game Development – Introducing a variety of Lua-based game development frameworks including Gideros.
IDEs and Editors
Code editors and plugins that work with Gideros
- Using ZeroBrane Studio with Gideros – Introductory tutorial for using ZBS with Gideros Remote Preview.
- Live Coding with Gideros and ZeroBrane Studio – Video showing the live coding capabilities of ZBS and Gideros.
- ZeroBrane Studio integration and debugging – Video tutorial by the creator of ZBS.
- Visual Studio Code plugin – With Gideros support (Windows only).
- Sublime Text 3 plugin – Adding Gideros support to ST3.
Graphics and Shaders
- Shaders in Gideros – Introductory text about shaders in Gideros.
- Shadertoy viewer – Check out shaders from Shadertoy using Gideros.
- Intro to clipping and the RenderTarget – Text-based tutorial on how to use the RenderTarget class to create a clipping effect.
- SceneManager – Easily switch between scenes with or without transitions.
- Passing variables using the SceneManager – Passing variables to the next scene when using the scene manager.
- GidSwipe – Easy to use tap and swipe manager for mobile.
- Gestures – Define and detect complex gestures from points a list of points.
- Accelerometer – Quick example of how to use the device accelerometer as input.
- Shake detection – Small snippet to detect device shake.
Animation and Tweens
- GTween – Tween sprite variables with this library (comes with all the easing functions you need).
- Animation using MovieClip – Tutorial on how to animate sprites using the MovieClip class.
- Spriteheet animation class – Class that helps with creating and playing animations from spritesheets.
- Collision with Tilemaps – Examples and suggestions on how to make stuff collide with the tiles in your tilemap.
- Smooth camera with Drag and Pinch-to-Zoom – Useful class implementation for a camera in a mobile game.
- Intro to using audio with Gideros – Tutorial about generating and using sounds with Gideros.
Saving and Loading
- Using JSON – Loading and saving manually via JSON.
- DataSaver module – User-friendly wrapper to make saving and loading data as easy as possible.
- Encrypting save files – Some ideas (with code) about securing the save files from unwanted manipulation.
- Admob integration – Video tutorial about integrating Admob into your game.
- Google Service integration – Second part of the Admob tutorial showing Google Play Service integration.
- Layout – Comprehensive Gideors GUI framework (forum entry).
- Button class – Simple class for creating clickable buttons.
- AceSlide class – Sliding UI-Element that can be used for example for level selection.
Note: 3D support is still in development but if you like to play around with it already, here are some starting points
- Tutorial using 3D in Gideros – Introduction by one of the maintainers of Gideros.
- SKStoreReview – Gideros Plugin for SKStoreReviewController iOS 10.3+.
- C++ plugin development – Getting started with Gideros plugin development in C++.
General Lua libraries that are useful in gamedev but are not Gideros specific
- lume – Great collection of functions that are useful for game development.
- inspect – Easily pretty-print your tables to the console in a readable way.
- jumper – Super-fast grid-based pathfinding for Lua.
- bump – Simple, flexible and fast library for collision detection using axis-aligned bounding boxes (from version 2017.8 onwards Gideros contains a C-port of the library with the same API that should be used instead cbump.
- Bresenham – Bresenham’s line algorithm, implemented in Lua.