Courses & TutorialsSecurity & Cloud
Awesome Privacy – Massive Collection of Resources
Limiting personal data leaks on the internet
- Awesome Privacy
- Windows 10 Privacy
- Anonymous web browsing
- Search engines
- Web browsers
- Host file optimizations
- Linux distros
- File hosting
- System utilities
Windows 10 Privacy
- O&O ShutUp10 O&O ShutUp10 means you have full control over which comfort functions under Windows 10 you wish to use, and you decide when the passing on of your data goes too far.
- Windows 10 Privacy Guide an In-depth guide on purging Windows 10 of Microsoft’s attempts to track you
- Windows Privacy Tweaker Freeware app from phrozen.io
- Winaero Free, small and useful software for Windows.
- WPD The real privacy dashboard for Windows
- Destroy-Windows-10-Spying Destroy Windows Spying tool
- Tron Tron, an automated PC cleanup script
- Tallow Tallow is a transparent Tor firewall and proxying solution for Windows.
- MalwareBytes “crushes malware so you are protected and your machine keeps running smoothly.”
- HitmanPro Antivirus product from Sophos
- VirusTotal Web service for scanning files and URLs for viruses
- How to remove viruses and malware on your Windows PC Helpful HowToGeek article on cleaning out the pipes
Anonymous web browsing
Hide your IP address
- njal.la – Anonymous domain registration by the founder of thepiratebay.
VPN Guides and Tutorials
- That One Privacy Site VPN section of That One Privacy Site with VPN comparisons
- Choosing the best VPN (for you) That One Privacy Guy’s – Guide to Choosing the Best VPN (for you)
- /r/VPN wiki Helpful FAQ-type resource composed by the folks at /r/VPN
- Choosing the VPN that’s right for you Helpful guide from the EFF
- Which VPN services keep you anonymous in 2018? TorrentFreak Article by Ernesto
- privacytools.io “Encryption against global mass surveillance”. Plenty of information to help protect your privacy online.
- VPN over SSH ArchWiki page describing how to achieve a poor man’s VPN with SSH tunneling
- /r/VPNTorrents This is for the discussion of torrenting (and similar P2P protocols) using VPN type technology.
- VPN comparison – Comprehensive tool for comparing VPN services.
- Docker AWS VPN – Guide for self hosting VPN on AWS with docker.
- DigitalOcean self hosted VPN – Guide for self hosted VPN on Digital Ocean.
- n2n Peer-to-peer VPN
- OpenVPN OpenVPN provides flexible VPN solutions to secure your data communications, whether it’s for Internet privacy, remote access for employees, securing IoT, or for networking Cloud data centers.
- WireGuard VPN WireGuard is an extremely simple yet fast and modern VPN that utilizes state-of-the-art cryptography. It aims to be faster, simpler, leaner, and more useful than IPSec.
Mix networks (Tor, etc.)
- Tor project – Government grade anonymous web browsing.
- How to setup Tor relay – Guide for setting up a Tor relay.
- Panoramix – Provide privacy via mix-networks (Tor alternative).“
- The Invisible Internet Project (I2P) – Anonymous overlay network (Tor alternative).
- What is my IP address – Check what IP is exposed to the internet.
- EFF browser privacy test – Test privacy settings of your web browser.
- Privacy checkup – Test privacy / trackability of your web browser.
- Privacy test by Tenta – Test privacy settings on browser.
- DuckDuckGo – Search engine that doesn’t track you.
- Ixquick – The world’s most private search engine.
- Ahmia – Tor search engine.
- Have I been pwned? – See if your email address has been found in a database hack.
- Tor browser – Encrypted and anonymous web browsing.
- Epic browser – Privacy focused web browser.
- Net runner – To cater to powerusers and meet the demands of 4chan’s /g.
- Cliqz – Ad blocking and private search mobile web browser.
- Firefox – Privacy-first web browser with lots of addons to further increase privacy
Extensions & plugins for web browsers
- User agent changer – Change user agent to prevent browser finger printing.
- Privacy badger – EFF – Block ads and other tracking services.
- HTTPS everywhere – EFF – Prefers encrypted sessions.
- Click&Clean – Private data cleaner for Chrome and Firefox.
- Firefox Focus browser – Automatic ad blocking and tracking protection on iOS and Android.
- DNS service – Privacy-first consumer DNS service by Cloudflare.
- CanvasBlocker (FF) – Prevents fingerprinting in Firefox
- Cookie AutoDelete – Deletes unnused cookies on tab close
- Decentraleyes Protects against tracking with a local CDN (Content Delivery Network) emulation.
- uBlock Origin An efficient blocker for Chromium and Firefox. Fast and lean.
- TamperMonkey The world’s most popular userscript manager
- WebRTC Network Limiter Configures how WebRTC’s network traffic is routed by changing Chrome’s privacy settings.
- ScriptSafe A browser extension that gives users control of the web and more secure browsing while emphasizing simplicity and intuitiveness.
- NoScript Allow active content to run only from sites you trust, and protect yourself against XSS and clickjacking attacks.
- Violentmonkey An open-source userscript manager.
- Firefox Profilemaker – Creates privacy focused Firefox profiles
- AntiAdware Remove forced download accelerators, managers, and adware on supported websites
- AdGuard Popup Blocker Popup Blocker by AdGuard is a userscript that blocks all unwanted pop-up windows in different browsers.
Host file optimizations
- How to make the internet not suck (as much) – Block domains at host file level for faster more private web browsing.
- Hosts (GitHub project) – List of malicious domains to block in host file.
- Tails OS – Live operating system that you can start on almost any computer. It aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity.
- Qubes OS – Reasonably secure operating system.
- ipredia – Linux distro with all network traffic is automatically and transparently encrypted and anonymized.
- Whonix – High security method of surfing the internet.
- Discreete Linux – Privacy focused flavor of Ubuntu.
- Cherry – A self-hosted webchat server that supports HTTPS.
- Signal – Free peer reviewed scalable encryption chat.
- Wire – End-to-end chats,calls and documents.
- Ricochet – End-to-end serverless tor chat
- ExifCleaner – Open source app to remove exif metadata from images.
- jitzi – Secure open source video conferencing.
- Nbox – Hide your email for signups.
- Improvmx – Forward email from your own domain name (allows for uniq emails for each website you register).
- Yopmail – Temporary email.
- Mailinator – Temporary email.
- Throw Away Mail – Temporary email.
- ProtonMail – Secure email based in Switzerland.
- Mailfence – Based in Belgium – 500 MB free; 20 GB Pro
- Tutanota – Based in Germany – 1 GB free; 10 GB Pro
- Mailbox.org – Based in Germany – 2 GB storage
- Mail-in-a-box – Host your own email on your own server
- LastPass – Password management.
- 1Password – Password management.
- Keepass – Open source password management.
- Passbolt – Open source password management.
- PasswordStore – Open source password management using
gpgto encrypt passwords.
- BitWarden – Open source password management.
- LessPass – No sync password management
- Pass Simple GPG/Git password manager. Follows the Unix philosophy.
- Craigslist – Meet people in real life to purchase physical electronics.
- Freecycle – Free electronics for sale.
- Localbitcoins – Anonymously purchase bitcoins with cash.
- Bitcoin Core – Sending and receiving online bitcoin payments.
- Bit Launderer – Launder bitcoins.
- BTC Prepaid Credit Card – Bitpay offers pre-paid credit cards with BTC.
- List of cryptocurrencies (wikipedia)
- Over the counter btc – Marketplace for people to conduct over-the-counter trading in bitcoin currency.
- CoinJoin – Bitcoin transaction compression which aims to improve privacy.
- Synqion (Formerly TeamDrive) – Cloud back up certified by the Independent Regional Centre for Data Protection of Schleswig-Holstein.
- Tresorit – Cloud back up protected by Swiss data protection laws (but hosted on Microsoft Azure) with client side encryption.
- SpiderOak – Cloud back up with client side decryption only.
- NextCloud – Open source, self-hosted file share and communication platform based in Germany.
- Least Authority S4 – think AWS S3 but with client-side encrypted
Command line tools
- lethe – A cross-platform data wiping tool that implements data destruction suggestions given by Bruce Schneier in his book
- Do you need a vpn? (mozilla) – Guide to choosing a VPN provider.
- Firefox privacy guide – Firefox Configuration Guide for Privacy Freaks and Performance Buffs.
- A Better Online Experience (archive.org link, original content down) – macOS & iOS privacy configurations for email, browsing, and more.
- Google alternatives – Privacy focused alternaties to Google services.
- Pi-hole Pi-hole is a Linux network-level advertisement and internet tracker blocking application which acts as a DNS sinkhole
- Prism Break Opt out of global data surveillance programs like PRISM, XKeyscore, and Tempora.
- /r/privacy The intersection of technology, privacy, and freedom in a digital world.
- Any Soft Keyboard A privacy-focused keyboard
- PrivacyTools Services, tools, and knowledge to protect your privacy against global mass surveillance
- switching.software Ethical, easy-to-use and privacy-conscious alternatives to well-known software
Related Post: All The Massive Collection List