A curated list of awesome Prometheus resources, projects and tools.
Prometheus is an open-source systems monitoring and alerting toolkit.
- Official resources
- Podcasts and interviews
- Blog posts and opinions
- Deployment tools
- High Availability
- Website – Official Prometheus project website.
- GitHub repository – Prometheus’ source code, issues discussion and collaboration.
- Documentation – Official Prometheus documentation.
- Blog – Official Prometheus blog.
- Official Prometheus demo – Official Prometheus demo site managed by Cloud Alchemy Ansible roles updating daily using configuration from Prometheus repository.
- Kubernetes monitoring with Prometheus, the ultimate guide – Kubernetes monitoring with Prometheus, the ultimate guide by Mateo Burillo.
- How To Install Prometheus using Docker on CentOS 7 – Walkthough on how to install Prometheus on CentOS 7.
- How to Use Prometheus to Monitor Your CentOS 7 Server – Walkthough on how to monitor a CentOS 7 server using Prometheus.
- How To Add a Prometheus Dashboard to Grafana – Walkthrough on how to add a Prometheus dashboard to Grafana.
- Instructions and example code for a Prometheus workshop – Instructions and example code for a Prometheus workshop by Julius Volz.
- Checking if SSH is responding with Prometheus – Walkthrough on how to use the Blackbox Exporter to check if SSH is responding by Brian Brazil.
- Monitor your GitHub Repos with Docker and Prometheus – Monitor your GitHub Repos with Docker and Prometheus.
- Docker daemon metrics in Prometheus – Docker daemon metrics in Prometheus by Luc Juggery.
- Prometheus Monitoring Tutorial (10 minutes) – Simple tutorial to create a Prometheus monitoring stack with Grafana, AlertManager, and PagerTree by Austin Miller.
- Prometheus-Basics – Beginner friendly introduction to Prometheus by yolossn.
- Monitoring with Prometheus – Monitoring with Prometheus by James Turnbull.
- Prometheus: Up & Running – Prometheus: Up & Running by Brian Brazil.
- Hands-On Infrastructure Monitoring with Prometheus – Hands-On Infrastructure Monitoring with Prometheus by Joel Bastos & Pedro Araújo, reviewed by Brian Brazil.
- PromCon Online 2020 – PromCon Online – July 14-16, 2020.
- PromCon 2019 – PromCon Munich – November 7-8, 2019, PromCon EU 2019.
- An Introduction to Systems & Service Monitoring with Prometheus – GOTO 2019: An Introduction to Systems & Service Monitoring with Prometheus – Julius Volz.
- Explain it Like I’m Five – What I Learned Teaching Observability to My Kids – Monitorama PDX, 2019 – Dave Cadwallader.
- Prometheus Deep Dive – KubeCon – 2017 – GitLab: Prometheus Deep Dive – Ben Kochie.
- PromCon 2018 – PromCon Munich – August 9-10, 2018 – talk recordings from PromCon 2018 in Munich.
- Prometheus Monitoring for Java Web Applications w o Modifying Source Code – Devoxx Belgium – November 7, 2017 – Fabian Stäber.
- PromCon 2017 – PromCon Munich – August 17-18, 2017 – talk recordings from PromCon 2017 in Berlin.
- Best Practices and Beastly Pitfalls – PromCon 2017: Best Practices and Beastly Pitfalls – Julius Volz.
- Counting with Prometheus – Cloud Native Con – 2017 – Counting with Prometheus – Brian Brazil, Robust Perception.
- Understanding and Extending Prometheus AlertManager – Cloud Native Con – 2017 – Understanding and Extending Prometheus AlertManager – Lee Calcote, SolarWinds.
- Infrastructure and application monitoring using Prometheus – Devoxx – May 17, 2017 at Devoxx UK – Marco Pas.
- Prometheus Monitoring for Java Developers – Devoxx Belgium – November 8, 2016 – Fabian Stäber.
- Prometheus: Design and Philosophy – why it is the way it is – Docker – October 14, 2016 – Julius Volz.
- PromCon 2016 – PromCon Berlin – August 25-26, 2016 – talk recordings from PromCon 2016 in Berlin.
- Prometheus: A Next Generation Monitoring System – FOSDEM 2016 – January 31, 2016 – Brian Brazil.
- The Prometheus Time Series Database – PromCon 2016: The Prometheus Time Series Database – Björn Rabenstein.
- PromCon 2016: So You Want to Write an Exporter – PromCon 2016 – So You Want to Write an Exporter – Brian Brazil.
Podcasts and interviews
- Prometheus on FLOSS Weekly 357 – Julius Volz on the FLOSS Weekly TWiT.tv show.
- Prometheus and Service Monitoring – Julius Volz on the Changelog podcast.
- Prometheus Monitoring with Brian Brazil – Brian Brazil on the Software Engineering Daily podcast.
- Prometheus Overview – The Promethean ideal of monitoring by Brian Brazil.
- System Monitoring with Prometheus – Brian Brazil at Devops Ireland Meetup, Dublin.
- OMG! Prometheus – Benjamin Staffin, Fitbit Site Operations, explains the case for Prometheus to his team.
- Deploying Prometheus – Filippo Giunchedi, WikiMedia Foundation at FOSDEM 2017.
Blog posts and opinions
- Prometheus: Monitoring at SoundCloud – Overview of Prometheus and first hand experience from Soundcloud.
- Monitor Docker Containers with Prometheus – Using Prometheus to monitor Docker containers.
- Prometheus and Kubernetes: A Perfect Match – Part 1 of 3 in the series Prometheus and Kubernetes.
- Prometheus and Kubernetes: Deploying – Part 2 of 3 in the series Prometheus and Kubernetes.
- Prometheus and Kubernetes: Monitoring Your Applications – Part 3 in the series Prometheus and Kubernetes.
- Robust Perception – Multiple blog posts about Prometheus by Brian Bazil.
- Initial experiences with the Prometheus monitoring system – Initial experiences with the Prometheus by Grig Gheorghiu.
- Monitor your applications with Prometheus – Monitor your applications with Prometheus by Alex Ellis.
- Practical Services Monitoring with Prometheus and Docker – Practical services monitoring with Prometheus and Docker by Simon KP.
- Prometheus Blog Series (Part 1): Metrics and Labels – Part 1 in the series Prometheus Blog Series by Pierre Vincent.
- Prometheus Blog Series (Part 2): Metric types – Part 2 in the series Prometheus Blog Series by Pierre Vincent.
- Prometheus Blog Series (Part 3): Exposing and collecting metrics – Part 3 in the series Prometheus Blog Series by Pierre Vincent.
- Prometheus Blog Series (Part 4): Instrumenting code in Go and Java – Part 4 in the series Prometheus Blog Series by Pierre Vincent.
- Horizontal Pod Autoscaling in Kubernetes with Prometheus – Horizontal Pod Autoscaling in Kubernetes with Prometheus by Louise.
- PromQL tutorial for beginners – PromQL tutorial for beginners by Aliaksandr Valialkin.
- Prometheus storage: technical terms explained – Prometheus storage: technical terms for humans by Aliaksandr Valialkin.
- Alerting issues with Alertmanager – Addressing alert flapping and duplicates in Alertmanager by Ali Sattari.
- Contributing to Prometheus – Contributing to Prometheus by Atibhi Agrawal.
- Ansitheus – Ansible playbook to containerize, configure and deploy Prometheus ecosystem by ntk148v.
- Cloud Alchemy Ansible roles – Ansible roles to manage Prometheus, Alertmanager, Grafana, and commond Prometheus exporters.
- Ansible-prometheus – Ansible playbook for installing Prometheus monitoring system, exporters such as: node, snmp, blackbox, thus alert manager and push gateway by Ernestas Poskus.
- Click-to-deploy Prometheus – Source for Google Click to Deploy Prometheus solutions listed on Google Cloud Marketplace by GoogleCloudPlatform.
- Prometheus Operator – Prometheus Operator creates/configures/manages Prometheus clusters atop Kubernetes by CoreOS.
- Grafana – Grafana is an open-source metric analytics & visualization suite tutorial by Prometheus.
- Prometheus Monitoring with Grafana – Prometheus Monitoring with Grafana tutorial by logz.io.
The lists below contain all the official Prometheus exporters that are maintained by the Prometheus GitHub organization. For a complete list of exporters including any non-official exporters see prometheus.io or exporterhub.io for a curated list of Prometheus exporters.
- Consol exporter – The exporter for Consul metrics.
- Memcached exporter – The Memcached exporter periodically scrapes Memcached stats.
- MySQL server exporter – The MySQL server exporter periodically scrapes MySQL stats.
- Node/system metrics exporter – The Node exporter periodically scrapes system stats.
- HAProxy exporter – The HAProxy exporter periodically scrapes HAProxy stats.
Other monitoring systems
- AWS CloudWatch exporter – The exporter for Amazon AWS CloudWatch metrics.
- Collectd exporter – The exporter for Collectd metrics.
- Graphite exporter – The exporter for Graphite metrics.
- InfluxDB – The exporter for InfluxDB metrics.
- JMX exporter – The exporter for JMX metrics.
- SNMP exporter – The exporter for SNMP metrics.
- StatsD exporter – The exporter for StatsD metrics.
- Blackbox – The Blackbox exporter allows blackbox probing of endpoints over HTTP, HTTPS, DNS, TCP and ICMP.
- Monitoring mixins – Community managed bundles of alerts, recording rules, and Grafana dashboards.
- Awesome Prometheus Alerting Rules – Awesome List of Prometheus alerting rules.
- Karma – Alert dashboard for Prometheus Alertmanager.
- Multi-prometheus proxy – Forwards incoming requests to one of a set of multiple Prometheus instances deployed as HA duplicates of each other using a selector strategy.
- Promxy – Deduplicates data from Prometheus HA pairs.
- Trickster – HTTP reverse proxy/cache for HTTP applications and a dashboard query accelerator for time series databases.
- exporter_proxy – A tiny, simple pure-python reverse-proxy for Prometheus exporters, with TLS support.
- Cortex – Horizontally scalable, highly available, multi-tenant, long-term Prometheus.
- Thanos – Highly available Prometheus setup with long term storage capabilities.
- M3DB – Scalable long-term remote storage for Prometheus.
- VictoriaMetrics – Cost-effective easy to operate remote storage for Prometheus.