Awesome Python asyncio – Massive Collection of Resources
A carefully curated list of awesome Python asyncio frameworks, libraries, software and resources.
The Python asyncio module introduced to the standard library with Python 3.4 provides infrastructure for writing single-threaded concurrent code using coroutines, multiplexing I/O access over sockets and other resources, running network clients and servers, and other related primitives.
Asyncio is not really a brand-new technology however it appears to be very trending since a few years – especially in the Python community and with the release of Python 3.4 in March 2014.
Thus, it’s pretty hard to keep yourself up-to-date with the most awesome packages out there.
Find some of those awesome packages here and if you are missing one we count on you to create an Issue or a Pull Request with your suggestion.
- Web Frameworks
- Message Queues
- Database Drivers
- Alternative Loops
- Alternatives to asyncio
Libraries to build web applications.
- aiohttp – Http client/server for asyncio (PEP-3156).
- sanic – Python 3.5+ web server that’s written to go fast.
- Quart – An asyncio web microframework with the same API as Flask.
- Vibora – Performant web framework inspired by Flask.
- cirrina – Opinionated asynchronous web framework based on aiohttp.
- autobahn – WebSocket and WAMP supporting asyncio and Twisted, for clients and servers.
- websockets – A library for building WebSocket servers and clients in Python with a focus on correctness and simplicity.
- Tornado – Performant web framework and asynchronous networking library.
- Japronto! – Experimental http toolkit built on top of uvloop and picohttpparser.
- Starlette – A lightweight ASGI framework/toolkit for building high performance services.
- uvicorn – The lightning-fast ASGI server.
- FastAPI – A very high performance Python 3.6+ API framework based on type hints. Powered by Starlette and Pydantic.
Libraries to implement applications using message queues.
- aioamqp – AMQP implementation using asyncio.
- pyzmq – Python bindings for ZeroMQ.
- aiozmq – Alternative Asyncio integration with ZeroMQ.
- crossbar – Crossbar.io is a networking platform for distributed and microservice applications.
- asyncio-nats – Client for the NATS messaging system.
- aiokafka – Client for Apache Kafka.
Libraries to connect to databases.
- asyncpg – Fast PostgreSQL Database Client Library for Python/asyncio.
- asyncpgsa – Asyncpg with sqlalchemy core support.
- aiopg – Library for accessing a PostgreSQL database.
- aiomysql – Library for accessing a MySQL database
- aioodbc – Library for accessing a ODBC databases.
- motor – The async Python driver for MongoDB.
- aioredis – aio-libs Redis client (PEP 3156).
- asyncio-redis – Redis client for Python asyncio (PEP 3156).
- aiocouchdb – CouchDB client built on top of aiohttp (asyncio).
- aioinflux – InfluxDB client built on top of aiohttp.
- aioes – Asyncio compatible driver for elasticsearch.
- peewee-async – ORM implementation based on peewee and aiopg.
- GINO – is a lightweight asynchronous Python ORM based on SQLAlchemy core, with asyncpg dialect.
- Tortoise ORM – native multi-backend ORM with Django-like API and easy relations management.
- Databases – Async database access for SQLAlchemy core, with support for PostgreSQL, MySQL, and SQLite.
Libraries to communicate in your network.
- AsyncSSH – Provides an asynchronous client and server implementation of the SSHv2 protocol.
- aiodns – Simple DNS resolver for asyncio
- httpx – asynchronous HTTP client for Python 3 with requests compatible API.
Libraries to build GraphQL servers.
- Ariadne – Schema-first Python library for implementing GraphQL servers.
- Tartiflette – Schema-first Python 3.6+ GraphQL engine built on top of
Libraries to test asyncio based applications.
- aiomock – A python mock library that supports async methods.
- asynctest – Enhance the standard unittest package with features for testing. asyncio libraries
- pytest-asyncio – Pytest support for asyncio.
- aresponses – Asyncio http mocking. Similar to the responses library used for requests
- aioresponses – Helper for mock/fake web requests in Python aiohttp package.
Alternative asyncio loop implementations.
- uvloop – Ultra fast implementation of asyncio event loop on top of libuv.
Other awesome asyncio libraries.
- aiocache – Cache manager for different backends.
- aiofiles – File support for asyncio.
- aiodebug – A tiny library for monitoring and testing asyncio programs.
- aiorun – A
run()function that handles all the usual boilerplate for startup and graceful shutdown.
- aioserial – A drop-in replacement of pySerial.
- aiozipkin – Distributed tracing instrumentation for asyncio with zipkin
- asgiref – Backend utils for ASGI to WSGI integration, includes sync_to_async and async_to_sync function wrappers.
- ruia – An async web scraping micro-framework based on asyncio.
Documentation, blog posts, and other awesome writing about asyncio.
- Official asyncio documentation – Asynchronous I/O, event loop, coroutines and tasks.
- Short well-written intro to asyncio – Generators, Coroutines, Native Coroutines and async/await.
- AsyncIO for the Working Python Developer – A gentle introduction to asynchronous programming from basic examples working up to URL fetching.
- Test limits of Python aiohttp – Making 1 million requests with python-aiohttp.
- ASGI (Asynchronous Server Gateway Interface) – A spiritual successor to WSGI, intended to provide a standard interface between async-capable Python web servers, frameworks, and applications.
- First Principles Introduction to Asyncio – A no-buzzword first principles introduction to the internal workings of asyncio.
- Developing and Testing an Asynchronous API with FastAPI and Pytest – This tutorial looks at how to develop and test an asynchronous API with FastAPI using Test-Driven Development (TDD).
Recordings of awesome talks about asyncio.
- Topics of Interest (Python Asyncio) | screencast | slides – PyCon Brasil 2015 keynote (David Beazley).
- Python Asynchronous I/O Walkthrough | blog post – 8-part code walkthrough (Philip Guo).
- Async/await in Python 3.5 and why it is awesome – EuroPython 2016 (Yury Selivanov).
- Fear and Awaiting in Async: A Savage Journey to the Heart of the Coroutine Dream | screencast – PyOhio 2016 keynote (David Beazley).
- Asynchronous Python for the Complete Beginner | slides – PyCon 2017 (Miguel Grinberg).
Alternatives to asyncio
Alternative approaches to async programming in Python, some of which attempt to support some compatibility with
asyncio, others are not compatible at all.
- curio – The coroutine concurrency library.
- Curio-Asyncio Bridge – basic curio -> asyncio coroutine bridge
- trio – Pythonic async I/O for humans and snake people.
- trio-asyncio – re-implementation of the asyncio mainloop on top of Trio