Carefully curated list of awesome Quantified Self resources.
The Quantified Self is a movement to incorporate technology into data acquisition on aspects of a person’s daily life in terms of inputs (e.g. food consumed, quality of surrounding air), states (e.g. mood, arousal, blood oxygen levels), and performance (mental and physical).
- Websites and Resources
- Applications and Platforms
- Devices and Wearables
- Research and Data Analysis
- Open Source Projects
Websites and Resources
- Quantified Self – Official website.
- Flowing Data – Self surveillance and quantification news.
- Biohack Stack – Biohacker community with “stacks” of famous scientists.
- Wearables Database – Awesome list of wearables available per body part.
- Wearables Table – Nice crowd-sourced table of wearables.
- Wolfram Connected Devices Project – IoT and Quantified Self device list.
- Quantified Self Instutite – Quantified Self research and innovation projects.
Articles & Blogs
- The Personal Analytics of My Life by Stephen Wolfram – Stephen Wolfram explores the data he has collected on the use of his time.
- Measured Me – Personal experiment in self-quantification and self-optimization.
- Lifestream Blog – Social data aggregation, lifelogging, Quantified Self and digital legacy.
- Quantified Bob – Follow one guy’s quest for self knowledge, betterment, and optimization through experimentation and personal analytics.
- Shadow of the Stream – Quantified Self, lifelogging, journaling, education.
- QS on Medium – Quantified Self posts on Medium.
- QS on Venture Beat – Quantified Self articles on Venture Beat.
- QS on Wired – Quantified Self articles on Wired.com.
- QS on LiveScience – Quantified Self articles on LiveScience.
- Gwern – Esoteric blog which includes blinded self-experiments & Quantified Self analyses amongst other topics.
- beepb00p – Writing about Quantified Self, owning the data and building the infrastructure.
- Your life, uploaded: The digital way to better memory, health, and productivity (2010) – Gordon Bell & Jim Gemmell
- The Quantified Self (2016) – Deborah Lupton
- Self-Tracking (2016) – Gina Neff & Dawn Nafus
- Everyday Data Science (2021) – Andrew N Carr (cheaper PDF version)
- Ted Talk: The Quantified Self – Ted talk by Gary Wolf on the Quantified Self movement.
- Tedx Talk: Wearable Tech Expands Human Potential – Lauren Costantini explores what it means to be human in the age of the Quantified Self.
- Don’t Unplug!!! How Technology Saved My Life and Can Save Yours Too – A keynote by Chris Dancy (“the Most Connected Man on Earth”) in which he explores how technology helped him become a better person by paying attention to the data he collected about his life.
Applications and Platforms
- Runkeeper – Outdoor fitness activity tracker (iOS & Android).
- Endomondo – Sport and health statistics tracker (iOS & Android).
- Runtastic – Running, cycling, and fitness GPS tracker (iOS & Android).
- Strava – Athletic activity tracking and social network.
- Gym Hero – Track workouts, strength training and other fitness exercise (iOS, Web)
Places & Travel
- RoadGoat – Travel tracking, automated integrations with many platforms listed here (Web).
- Swarm – Point of interest auto-checkins via GPS (iOS & Android).
- Arc – Track your movements and places visited via GPS (iOS).
Aggregators & Dashboards
- Memento Labs – Personalized health and wellness action plans using wearables & A/B testing.
- Apple Health – Multi-purpose tracking platform for Apple devices. Tracks activities, sleep, nutrition, mindfulness, and other metrics.
- Google Fit – Open ecosystem to store, access, and manage fitness data (Android).
- Gyroscope – Quantified Self health dashboard (web, iOS, & Android).
- Exist – Track everything in one place (web, iOS & Android).
- Zenobase – Store, aggregate and visualize your data from multiple 3rd party sources (web).
- Validic – Cloud-based platform that connects patient-recorded data from digital health applications, devices, and wearables.
- FitnessSyncer – Joins health and fitness data into a single centralized platform.
- IoTool – Smartphone IoT platform for automation and data collection.
- Tictrac – Dashboard for health and fitness data (web).
- QS Access – Export Apple Health data into CSV table format (iOS).
- KeepTrack – Multi-purpose tracker (Android).
- Tasker – Automation and event triggering app (Android).
- Apple Shortcuts – Powerful automation app (iOS).
- If This Then That (IFTTT) – Awesome conditional automation platform.
- Zapier – Automate tasks between apps.
- AskMeEvery – Automated data entry through email or text questions.
- Reporter – Tracking app that collects data through random surveys (iOS).
- Logsit – Quantified self and lifelogging app to track the things you’ve done (iOS).
- LifeMetrics – Daily questionnaires and automatically generated wellness insights (iOS).
- MyFitnessPal – Food tracking and diet plan app (iOS & Android).
- Fat Secret – Calorie counter and diet tracker for weight loss (iOS & Android).
- Calorie Counter – Nutritional database and calorie counting app (iOS & Android).
- Cronometer – Food, activity, and biometric tracker (iOS & Android).
- Zero – A simple fasting tracker used for intermittent, circadian rhythm, and custom fasting (iOS & Android).
- Vora – Fasting tracker (iOS & Android).
- Bitesnap – Image based food logging app powered by computer vision (iOS & Android).
- Coffee It – Record Caffeine intake, with database inside & Apple Health sync. (iOS)
- GoalsOnTrack – Web-based goal setting and tracking software (iOS & Android).
- Lifetick – Online goal tracking platform.
- stickK – Goal tracking with a monetary commitment.
- Beeminder – Goal tracking with a monetary commitment. Integrates with many devices and apps.
- Taskade – Simple and sharable tasks, checklists, and notes. (Web, iOS & Android).
- Habitica – A habit tracking app which treats your goals like a role playing game (Web, iOS & Android).
- HabitBull – A simple mobile habit tracking app to build and track streaks (iOS & Android).
- Strides – App to track your goals, habits and projects with SMART goal setting (Web, iOS).
- Habit List – Create good habits, break bad ones, build a better you (iOS).
- Streaks – The to-do list that helps you form good habits (iOS).
- Taskade – Modern task lists that syncs across all your devices. (Web, iOS, Android, Chrome, Mac and PC).
- Productive – Habits and daily goals tracker with flexible scheduling, reminders and data export (iOS).
- Everyday – Simple and beautiful habit tracker for the Web, iOS and Android. Has a web extension to add it to your browser’s new tab.
- AlcDroid – Alcohol consumption tracking and BAC calculation app that offers various statistics regarding your drinking behavior (Android).
- CureTogether – Health self tracking and collaborative network.
- Symple – Symptom journal and health tracker (iOS).
- Cardiio – Touchless heart rate monitor (iOS).
- Instant Heart Rate – Fast and accurate mobile heart rate monitor (iOS, Android, Windows).
- HRV4Training – Track Heart Rate Variability, Stress, and other contextual data points using your smartphone camera and receive personalized advice to optimize your health and training (iOS, Android).
- Welltory – The go-to health app that lets users track their heart rate variability, stress, and energy levels, along with aggregated health and fitness analytics from different wearable devices and apps.
- Goodreads – Lets users track and rate books and network with other readers (Web, iOS, Android).
- HistoryHound – Searchable cross-browser history database that can be exported as HTML (MacOS).
- Last.fm – Track the music you listen to by scrobbling via desktop and mobile apps or by connecting to music services (Web, iOS, Android).
- Trakt – Automatically track TV & movies you’re watching (Web, Media Players).
- Pocket – Lets you save articles to read later (Web, iOS, Android).
- PhotoStats – Photo tracking with visualizations, analytics and auto-tagging using machine learning (iOS, Android).
- WordCounter – Word count tracker for writers (Mac).
- Podcast Tracker – Lets you log, aggregate and export your podcast listening history (Web).
Mind & Cognition
- Cambridge Brain Sciences – Scientifically proven tools for the assessment of cognitive function.
- Quantified Mind – Tests and experiments to quantify cognitive abilities.
- MoodCast – Keep track of your daily mood & activities (Android).
- Daylio – Capture your day without writing down a single line. Exportable data with Premium Version. (iOS & Android).
- MoodNotes – Capture your feelings with a modifiable smiling or frowning face. Exportable data. (iOS and Apple Watch).
- MoodPanda – One of the oldest moodtrackers available online. Rate your mood and share to support. Exportable data. Sync and extend via API (Web, iOS, Android).
- MoodJam – Track your moods with colors. (Web only).
- iMoodJournal – Mood Tracking on a 10-point scale from Really great to Couldn’t be worse. Exportable data. (Android, iOS, Apple Watch).
- Perspective – Journaling to captures Thoughts, Moods, and Interests with the goal of helping you reflect and find perspective. (iOS).
- Moods by Mokriya – Quick track your mood as good, okay or bad. Specify feelings using a word cloud. No data export option. (iOS, Apple Watch).
- Sleep as Android – Full featured sleep tracker with wearable integration (Android).
- SleepBot – Smart alarm and sleep tracker (iOS & Android).
- Sleep Cycle – Intelligent alarm clock and sleep tracker (iOS & Android).
- Pillow – Track your sleep from your Apple Watch or iPhone (iOS).
- AutoSleep – Automatically tracks your sleep via your Apple Watch (iOS).
- Nomie – Privately track events in your life (iOS & Android).
- Track This For Me – Multi-purpose tracking platform (Android).
- Instant – Track all of your daily activities automatically (iOS & Android).
- Toggl – Time tracker and employee timesheet software (iOS & Android).
- Timesheet – Android time tracker (Android).
- Hours Time Tracker – Awesome time tracking app (iOS).
- Rescue Time – Automatically tracks where you spend your time (Mac, Windows, Android, Linux).
- Qbserve – Time tracking automation: Real-time productivity feedback, project tracking, timesheets, and invoicing (Mac).
- Timing – Automatic time and productivity tracking for Mac. Helps you stay on track with your work and tells you exactly how many seconds you spent in each document, website and app (Mac).
- Quality Time – Precise time tracker for Android (Android).
- Manic Time – Automatic time tracking software which tracks computer usage (Windows).
- Streaks – To do list that helps you form habits and track goals (iOS).
- Moment – Track time spent on iPhone and iPad (iOS).
- Hindsight – Tracks the passage of time since something happened (iOS, Apple Watch).
- ActivityWatch – Open source automated time tracker (Mac, Windows, Linux, Android).
- Hourly – Minimalistic time tracker with smart functions and nice design (iOS).
- Code Time – Time-tracking for VS Code, Atom, Sublime Text, and other editors
- Mint – Manage your money, pay your bills and track your credit score.
- Personal Capital – Financial software and wealth management.
- You Need A Budget (YNAB) – Personal home budget software.
- GNU Cash – Personal and small-business financial-accounting software.
- Ledger – Simple but powerful command line accounting.
- Credit Karma – Lean and reputable credit score tracker.
- Actual – Personal home budget software.
Devices and Wearables
- Fitbit – Awesome activity tracking wearables to track steps, heart rate, quality of sleep, and other personal metrics.
- Garmin – World-class range of wearables.
- TomTom – Fitness trackers and watches.
- Jawbone UP – Fitness trackers for a healthier you.
- Withings – Activity tracking and connected devices.
- Nike Fuel – Universal activity tracking devices.
- Misfit – Wearable tracking devices.
- Pebble – Smart watches that works with your mobile device.
- Wahoo – Connected cycling, running, and fitness devices.
- Hexo Skin – Awesome biometric shirts.
- Whoop – Athletic performance monitoring.
- Zephyr BioHarness – Performance monitoring wearables.
- Apple Watch – Fitness and other health oriented tracking.
- Amiigo – Activity and gym workout trackers.
- Spire – Activity tracker that determines stress and focus levels by measuring breathing.
- Oura Ring – Highly-accurate sleep (and activity) tracker worn on the finger that measures HR, HRV, temperature, and movement.
- Aidlab – Smart and hackable wearable, compatible with special T-shirts and chest straps.
- Gadgetbridge – FOSS fitness tracker app for use with a wide variety of wearables.
- Dreem – Consumer-grade EEG used to monitor and optimize sleep; it also has pulse oxymeter, bone conduction audio, accelerometer and sonometer.
- Foci – Wearable (clip) that is automatically tracking focus, flow, relaxation, fatigue and stress.
Research and Analysis
- 23andMe – Genetic testing and analysis.
- Open Humans – Data sharing and project collaboration.
- Enlis – Software to organize and analyze your genomic data.
- DNA Fit – Genetic information for fitness and nutrition.
- Family Tree DNA – Genetic testing for ancestry, family history and genealogy.
- uBiome – Microbiome sequencing startup.
- Inside Tracker – Science-based blood analytics for performance and health.
- Wellness FX – Blood analysis and health checkup.
- Human API – Health data integration platform.
- DNA land – DNA imputation and scientific research.
- GenetiConcept – Genetic testing for health, drug interactions, fitness and nutrition.
- FoundMyFitness – Comprehensive genetic report from on self-uploaded genetic data.
Open Source Projects
- Open mHealth – Open source health data integration tools.
- Heedy – A repository for all of your quantified-self data.
- Quantifier – A Quantified Self app that tracks various fitness and productivity metrics.
- Fluxtream – An open-source non-profit personal data visualization framework.
- Flow Dashboard – Habit tracker and personal data analytics app.
- BetterSelf – An open sourced app for tracking supplements and habits
- QS Ledger – Open Source Personal Data Aggregator and Data Analysis built on Python using Jupyter Notebooks.
- Awesome Biomarkers – Learn more about blood testing, biomarkers and tech and services to help quantify (and improve) your health!