Useful resources for Silverstripe Framework and CMS
Silverstripe CMS is an open source PHP framework for building web applications. It is a rapid development MVC framework that serves as a classic fully fledged CMS or as a headless CMS, which can be queried either via GraphQL or a custom API.
Following the “Active Record” design pattern, you can easily extend the built-in functionality with a project specific data model.
- Very Useful Modules
- www.silverstripe.org – Framework and CMS.
- www.silverstripe.com – Silverstripe Ltd., the company behind the CMS.
Documentation & Tutorials
- API Docs – Autogenerated API documentation.
- Technical Documentation – For developers. Explains all core concepts.
- Using the CMS – Documentation for end users how to use the core features.
- Silverstripe Lessons – Learn how to build a Silverstripe site step by step with a real-world project.
- Font reference – Built in icon font for backend usage.
- TinyMCE Configuration Examples For SS3 – Configuration examples for the HTMLEditorField.
- Official Silverstripe Blog – News around Silverstripe CMS.
- SilverStrip.es – Useful findings of Silverstripe developers.
- Official StripeCon YouTube Channel – Talks of various StripeCon conferences.
- Official Silverstripe Vimeo Channel – Various videos from meetups and conferences.
- Stack Overflow – Silverstripe related questions on Stack Overflow.
- Silverstripe User Slack – Community slack channel for instant help or hanging around with other developers.
- Forum – Official forum for asking questions or discussing.
Conferences & Meetups
- European Silverstripe Conference – Every year in another country.
- Meetups – A list of Silverstripe related Meetups.
Very Useful Modules
- SS Addons: Themes and Modules – The official module registry.
- SSMods: Detailed Module Search – Alternative module search.
- Most Used Modules – Shows which modules are downloaded most.
- Silverstripe Recipes on Packagist – Preconfigured sets of modules for different kind of projects.
- Multiuser editing alert – Alerts users in the Silverstripe CMS when multiple people are editing the same page.
- Fluent – Multi-language translate module for Silverstripe, without having to manage separate site trees.
- Autotranslate – Creates automatic translations of fields using Google Translate API.
- Silverstripe Searchable – Adds more complex site searching using the Silverstripe ORM. With dedicated templates for search results across multiple search objects.
- Searchable DataObjects – Fast and simple MySQL based search. Useful for single language sites.
- Fulltext Search – Full fledged search interface for Solr4.
- Fulltext Search Local Solr – Easy to install Solr4 instance for local development.
- Solr search – Interface for Solr search, supporting up to the latest Solr version. With submodules for e.g. transitioning from the “Fulltext Search” module, as well as subsite, fluent and others.
- Debugbar – Shows debugging statistics in your browser.
- IdeAnnotator – Auto-generates class annotations on dev/build.
- Populate – Populate your database through YAML files.
- Mock DataObjects – Allows DataObjects to self-populate intelligently with fake data.
- Version Truncator – Automatically delete old SiteTree page versions.
- UserSwitcher – Adds a small form both in the frontend and backend to quickly login as any user.
- Masquerade – Allows an Administrator to “login” as another “Member”. This can be useful for debugging and remote support.
Fancy Form Fields
- Markdown Field – Can replace your HTMLEditorFields (using TinyMCE) so you can utilise Markdown syntax.
- Code Editor Field – Gives you a syntax-highlighted text area field – great for CMS-based YAML or HTML.
- SSPak – Tool for managing bundles of db/assets from Silverstripe environments.
- SSPy – Python version of SSPak, that can handle assets more than 2GB.
- VSCode Silverstripe – Syntax highlighting for Silverstripe template files in VSCode.
- Jetbrains / PHPStorm Silverstripe Template Language Support – Syntax highlighting for Silverstripe template files.
- PHPStorm / Webstorm Live Templates – Shortcuts for adding various Silverstripe specific code snippets.
There is no official box like Laravel has its homestead box. However, there are a few good boxes out there for Vagrant you could use:
- Twisted Bytes – Useful vagrant box with multiple PHP versions, MariaDB or PostgreSQL, mail catcher and much more.
- Twisted Bytes Box Templates – Useful templates for different development scenarios using the Twisted Bytes vagrant box.
- Laravel Homestead – Prepackaged box for local development.
- Scotchbox – Popular LAMP/LEMP stack for local development.
- Zauberfisch Vagrant Boxes – Preconfigured Vagrant boxes for SS3 and SS4.