These layer styles are the quickest and easiest way to convert type into street art!
It’s super-easy to use, simply select a piece of text and then click on an icon from the graphic styles tab – it’s that easy! Don’t worry if you’re new to illustrator, I’ve included full instructions
The styles come colored as shown but you can modify them by using the ‘Re-colour Artwork’ function (Found in the EDIT/EDIT COLORS/RE-COLOR ARTWORK menu).
TO LOAD THE GRAPHIC STYLES
- Open or create a new Illustrator document.
- Open the ‘GRAPHIC STYLES TAB’. This can be found in the ‘WINDOWS’ menu.
- Open the menu in the left-hand corner of the ‘GRAPHIC STYLES TAB’, select ‘OPEN GRAPHIC STYLES LIBRARY>OTHER LIBRARY…’, then navigate to the download, unzipped folder and select the product file then click ‘OPEN’.
The styles will now appear loaded into their own tab. To transfer them to the main ‘GRAPHIC
STYLES TAB’, drag them across. To view the quick reference file open the graphic styles file using the ‘FILE>OPEN’ menu.
To view the quick reference guide open the product file through the ‘FILE>OPEN’ menu. Doing it this way will also load the brushes and patterns too so, you won’t need to load them separately.
HOW TO APPLY A GRAPHIC STYLE TO TEXT OR VECTOR OBJECT
- With the files loaded, locate the ‘GRAPHIC STYLES’ tab.
- Select a piece of text or simple vector object using the ‘SELECTION TOOL’. If using type make it around 100pt (you can change this later).
- Clear the text’s stroke and fill values so that it’s transparent.
- Click one of the ‘GRAPHIC STYLES’ tab icons and the style will be applied.
Please note: the examples shown in these instructions show a different product but the principles are the same with all graphic styles.
HOW TO SCALE THE EFFECTS
Now you’ve applied the style you may want to scale the effects to suit your design. To do this
follow these steps
- With the text selected, access the ‘OBJECT>TRANSFORM>SCALE MENU’ as shown below.
- Set the scale options as per the image below, type a percentage and click ‘OK’
You can manually adjust each graphic style attribute on it’s own too by selecting it on the
‘APPEARANCE TAB’ and adjusting it as would normally.
The graphic styles have been supplied using a set color palette but you can apply your own color schemes. To do this follow these steps.
- Select an object or text that has a style applied to it.
- Access the ‘EDIT>EDIT COLOURS>RECOLOR ARTWORK..’ menu.
- In the ‘CURRENT COLORS’ section of this new menu you will see all of the colors that are used in the selected graphic style/brushes. Click on one of these.
- Make sure the ‘RECOLOR ARTWORK’ box is ticked as shown above.
- Adjust the color sliders until you’re happy with the result.
- Repeat the process with the other colors.
- Click ‘OK’.
TIPS AND HINTS
Keep things simple – The graphic styles work best on simple fonts. Avoid those with textures or grunge effects.
If you use a narrow font or very small text there may not be enough space for all of the style
attributes and this could result in the effects not displaying correctly. There are several ways to fix this problem:
- Up-scale the text by increasing the type size.
- Reduce the size of the style attributes using the ‘OBJECT>TRANSFORM>SCALE’ menu as